Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Prayer at the Gospel

As the Catechism of the Catholic Church tells us, The Eucharist is "the Source and Summit of the Christian life" (CCC 1324).  Understanding the meaning of the things we do at Mass really helps a person enter into this great Sacrament more fully.  This is one of the most important things that we teach, as a youth minister or catechist.  I would like to spend a few blog post highlighting the significance or our Mass practices.

Here's a simple (and probably well known) one to start:



When the priest or deacon reads the Gospel at Mass he begins with the words "A reading from the Holy Gospel according to __________."  At which time the priest or deacon draws a cross with his thumb upon the book of the Gospels.  When we respond, "Glory to you O Lord," the priest/deacon and the assembly (all the people in the pews) trace a cross on our forehead, lips, and heart.  This is not just an outward action, but there is a prayer that each person is supposed to pray silently as we make this action.  There are a couple renditions:

"Lord, help me to understand this Gospel in my mind, speak of it from my lips, and take it into me heart"

or

"May the Word of God be ever on my mind, upon my lips, and in my heart"

Praying this thoughtfully and meaningfully really help to prepare you to take in the Gospel message.  Teach this to your students/teens!!  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment